Te Aka Pūtaiao (Kaupae 5)
The level 5 certificate in environmental studies provides students with a broad range of skills and knowledge to examine traditional and contemporary models of science relating to the environment.
The programme aims to:
- provide opportunities for tauira to gain further knowledge of their own geographical location and significant landmarks within their whānau, hapū or iwi boundaries;
- retain knowledge of Mātauranga Māori practices, processes and solutions within an environmental context;
- retain knowledge of Mātauranga Māori that is intrinsic within karakia, waiata, whakataukī/whakatauakī, purākau, pakiwaitara etc;
- acquire knowledge about contemporary and scientific practices, processes and solutions within an environmental context;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of environmental legislation to inform whānau, hapū and iwi;
- support whānau, hapū and iwi with their environmental aspirations;
- develop graduates who can support their whānau, hapū and iwi in finding appropriate solutions to environmental issues or concerns;
- create more Māori graduates who have skills and knowledge in science;
- promote the development and validity of Māori values, principles and mātauranga Māori in the field of environment;
- create graduates that are equipped with knowledge and skills such as research, self-management, critical thinking and good work ethic in order to be successful in higher tertiary study or gain employment in the environment industry.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: